Jewel tones are the hottest makeup trend for Autumn Winter 2012. We’ve been glued to the catwalks at New York Fashion Week (from a distance, sadly!) Here are two of our favourite looks, with tips on how to recreate them at home.
Look One, by McGrath for Roberto Cavalli
Get this look with several shades from one neat little palette, Urban Decay’s Deluxe Eye Shadow Box with a travel sized Primer Potion, currently on offer at £20 here.
- Cover the eyelid with a light dusting of Scratch
- Deepen the outer half of the eye with Underground, blended up towards the socket line.
- Blend Graffiti across the inner half of your moving eyelid
- Pat Fishnet on the inner corner of the socket and blend it upwards and outwards, adding a touch of Ransom where it meets Graffiti
- Dot Honey on the inner corners to make your eyes pop and bring the rest of the colours to life.
- Blend all the colours well and smoke it out with Zero on the lower lash line and outer corner of the upper lashline.
Finish the look with black kohl on the waterline and a light coat of mascara (don’t overdo the mascara, the shadow is the star of this show!)
Urban Decay’s blacker than black 24/7 pencil in Zero is hard to beat, though if you prefer a slightly softer look, you could opt for Underground, a metallic taupe. This set of 5 travel sized glide on pencils is £25 here.
Look Two, by Diane Kendal for Jason Wu
Blue and green eyeshadow have come a long way from the 80s and we love this ethereal yet distinctive eye. Get the look with another gorgeous palette by Urban Decay, Mariposa, £18 here.
- Blend Wreckage across the entire lid, stopping just below the brow line.
- Layer on Haight towards the outer corners in a wing shape
- Define the edges of the wing shape and inner corner with Mushroom
- Define the lashline with Zero 24/7 liner and wing it out as dramatically as you dare!
- Finish with black mascara
All products used are available here.
Are you a fan of jewel colours for AW?