We’ve really been enjoying the nice sunshine this week and if you’re anything like us as soon as the sun is out the entire summer is spent in flip flops or barefoot. This is all well and good however this can damage the skin on your feet. The constant exposure to the air can cause the sensitive skin on your heels to dry out and leads to cracked heels, which as we know are not the prettiest sight.
So here are a few tips for looking after your feet in the summer.
- Remove dry skin – if you’re lucky enough to be jetting off to the beach, walking in the wet sand will naturally exfoliate the feet on your skin (we knew there was a really good reason for booking that holiday!)
- If you’re not so lucky then at home soak your feet in warm water for 15-20 minutes, then use a pumice stone to gentle scrub your heels removing the dead skin. It’s easy peasy to make your own foot scrub using Sea Salt, Olive Oil & your favourite essential oils. There are some great resources online to guide you through making your own remedies.
- If you haven’t got the time to make your own then use an all natural foot scrub like Deep Steep’s Candy Mint Foot Polish
· This 100% natural foot polish contains a circulation-boosting blend that is loaded with extracts of Peppermint, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Spearmint as well as a touch of sweet, natural Vanilla. The polish is brilliant at exfoliating with Walnut Shells to slough off dead, dull skin and Jojoba Oil to moisturize.
- Rinse and dry your feet.
- Liberally apply a foot cream, balm or lotion – our personal favourites are:
· Lulu and Boo Melissa and Mallow Foot Balm – it contains Organic Marshmallow to soften, moisturise and sooth tired achy feet, combined with the antiseptic qualities of Organic Lemon and Tea Tree Essential Oils. As with all Lulu & Boo products it smells divine.
· Or alternatively Balm Balm’s 100% Organic TeaTree Foot Balm will certainly do the trick, containing Shea butter, sunflower, beeswax, jojoba, calendula & tea tree essential oil. A great value option as well.
- Make sure to apply plenty, pull on a pair of cotton socks to sleep in and your feet will thank you for it in the morning.
- Try to avoid wearing backless or open styles all summer to avoid losing the moisture from your feet, use the pumice stone at least twice a week & apply a daily moisturiser/balm to your feet.
· Gwdihw’s Twinkle Toes Balm is great to give your feet a quick lift packed with Marigold Flowers, Coconut and Olive Oils, Beeswax and Essential Oil of Lavender.
Deep Steep Candy Mint Foot Cream will really leave your feet feeling energized and it’s 100% Natural formula is perfect for daily use
We’d love to hear any of your foot care tips! We're looking forward to the natural exfoliation of the beach next week!